Monday, March 31, 2008

Stuck in Asuncion

Congratulations me! I got voted in as the NVAC Treasurer. I also ran unopposed so as Dr. Tony Martin might say, that a six pack bet in my favor. So what does this new appointment mean? Well..every two months I will need to come into Asuncion to for a meeting, sort of the student council of Peace Corps. The perks are that I have two nights paid for in the city and I can do other work while I'm here, so I can save some money and I get to know the big cheese of Peace Corps Py a little better all with fairly minimal responsibility.
The down side of course is this weekend for example...I left site Thursday, intending to take the dawn bus Sunday night and be back in time to teach English on Monday. Well, here we are Monday night and I'm staying another night in the city...but tomorrow I WILL LEAVE (and walk into site if the bus is a no go).

On the bright side I had plenty of time to get to the big market in Asuncion (Mercado 4) and buy an electric tea kettle, electric range, a non-stick pan, and most importantly a garlic press. The items are a bit 'çhuchi' (make me look rich in site), but keep in mind that when my gas runs out in the house I have to take it 3km on horse to the bus and later pick it up with a horse and take it back to the house. I don't own a horse and sometimes my neighbors need theirs so I'm hoping the electric will save me time and money. We will see. At the very least I was able to make tomato soup and grilled cheese with Phillipe his g/f and serve and sell to other folks, not for profit just to cover costs.

Anyways, talks of leaving the office for dinner...and I can go for some food.
I'll be back in town next week, this whole trip was a surpise that I only learned about last Wed.

Later gang.

No comments: